Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Winter Warrior Challenge 2016

My 2016 began with a curious opportunity that I decided to embrace called the "Winter Warrior Challenge".  The idea is that you must run or walk at least one mile every day for the month of January.  There are three levels: gold for 5 miles a day, silver for 3 miles a day and bronze for 1 mile a day.  From the outset, I was thinking I would be content with the bronze category. Who would have time or energy for more than that?

Since I have been fairly active with my running of late, I figured this was an interesting way to start 2016.  My assumption was that I would complement my normal running routine with a 1 mile run or walk at lunch time to achieve this goal.

My first few days of the challenge I was solidly in silver (3 mile) status.   I was confident that eventually, life, work, and weather would quickly knock me to my rightful place in the bronze category. Somehow I  found the time, motivation and physical ability to keep up my minimum of 3 miles a day (and periodically 4 or 5 miles) for the entire month.

A few observations about my experience completing the challenge:
  • Daylight and dry pavement are your best friends in January. 
  • Dressing in layers is critical.
  • There is another world that exists at 5 am in January that involves: barking dogs, very dark streets, and occasional encounters with skunks. 
  • If you stay focused on the goal, you will be surprised at what you are capable of doing. 
  • Knowing that their are other runners just as crazy as you (via the Natick Runners Facebook group) helps keep you motivated. 

Natick Common after some snow. 
Early morning view on a run in Grrenfield New Hampshire 

My own celebration at the end of my last run of the Winter Warrior Challenge 
I must admit that I am going to miss this daily challenge.   Certainly I will not miss the cold runs or the very early mornings, but I did embrace the relative absurdity of rising to this challenge.  I felt like a really accomplished something that I never imagined I could achieve.  The final total was 130.1 miles for the month.
I would like to thank Marathon Sports and Race Menu for teaming up to make the Winter Warrior Challenge a reality.  I also have to acknowledge Runkeeper for keeping track of  my every mile. 

I am already contemplating a return engagement to the challenge in January of 2017!

No comments:

Post a Comment